Saturday, September 10, 2016

Accountable Talk Cards

This year I am thinking about adding accountable talk cards to my reward system. I am giving students these cards to use at any time during the lesson.. The cards can be differentiated depending on what groups you want to use specific cards. I am going to increase their chances of receiving a gold token the more they use their cards. 

The idea is to increase engagement and have the students reach a point where they are actively using the language all the time. The two cards I will use are "I notice you..." in order to positively reinforce particular things (i.e. students using math terms/vocabulary like "numerator" or "denominator", or to point out a particular detail in the way in which they solved a problem), and "can you tell me why you think that?" in order to get them to explain. 

I have never taught with this sort of structure in place so I am excited to see how it turns out! I am sure the kids will be excited to use them as the power to learn and grow in math is now in their hands. Time to update that powerpoint.....








No comments:

Post a Comment