Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Concept Constructions....

What's that you say? A CARD???? Yes. It's a card. No, not Magic. No, not Yu-Gi-Oh. These severely underrated (by me) gems went underused by me last year. However, they are great for movement as students can get out of their seats and come up to the board to demonstrate what their particular card has to do with the problem at hand.

Last year, I was the one to use these cards. This year, it will be the kids using these cards. My idea is to creative a positive aura surrounding the cards. That is, if you are selected or given one, it's an honor, or a good thing because you've adhered to school norms and positive behavior. Using these to positively reinforce good behavior isn't too shabby.

This year I'll create a word bank and hope that students can associate and become familiar with particular words that correspond to the current unit. I have also been thinking about a "skills & strategies bank". I'm not completely sure about it yet but the word bank will definitely exist. The following is a visual of what I'm talking about:


"Graph" and "table" are in the middle because they are both mathematical terms that show in up 6.RP (perhaps not so much linear and non-linear graphs, but definitely ratio tables), and they are both "strategies" (well, creating some sort of drawing or representation of the problem at hand is). Not sure if I should just have a word bank or have both...




No comments:

Post a Comment