Saturday, November 8, 2014

One Year Wiser!

I haven't posted in a few days due to being so busy and sick. The end of the first marking period was yesterday, Friday November 7, 2014. My birthday was November 2nd. Due to some of my students snooping around the blog from time to time, I'll keep my age hidden although it's obvious that I'm still not that quite old!

My mother called and began to weep for how much the both of us have had to go through, with me not growing up in the best of environments nor a two-parent home, like much of my students. I knew that her tears were those of joy, tears that I haven't gotten a chance to quite experience yet.

It reminded me of how hard I've had to work to get where I am, and it let me know how much of an example I may be for some of my students. I share my life with them all of the time, and they probe and ask more questions when they realize that I am not much different. I became a teacher because I wanted to be a role model for students that I never had growing up. It has been an extremely difficult road.

Teaching is one of the hardest jobs in the world if you actually care about the children. And I do, deeply. At the very least, I want to finish this master's program (I graduate in June) and close out the year to see how far I can take them this year, and leave them with a positive example of math, and a human being.

On the bright side, I went shopping galore for myself, and my co workers have been treating me to meals and drinks!

My birthday resolution: Continue to stay focused on my current goals
                                       Create new goals

No comments:

Post a Comment