Sunday, March 8, 2015

Video Games in Mathematics......

My thesis is about using video games to teach mathematics in the classroom. My biggest problem and fear: there's such a lack of educational games, let alone those with a specific focus on equations! Am I in over my head this time? It is looking more and more like I'll have to eventually turn to apps instead of conventional video game systems (I.e. Wii U/PS3) etc. Knowing that I'll never give up, I've been fooling around with Art Academy: Sketchpad on the Wii U with the intention of drawing problems or creating a course of artworks (which are just math problems) that they have to solve.









Problems: There's no difference between using this and writing it on the board. And this game doesn't actually teach math. Would you still consider it applicable? There's still a motivational/fun factor there for students who would prefer this as opposed to me just writing it on the board. They can use the Gamepad to write their own questions and have their classmates solve. Humble beginnings I suppose in terms of finding the right games, and I really, really don't have much time....

No comments:

Post a Comment