Thursday, April 23, 2015

Mario Kart 8 & Statistics

It's been tough to update as I have been trying my best to juggle chapter 6 of my thesis as well as prepare students for the state exam. I have absolutely no time as of late. We will be working on a unit focusing on probability and statistics after the test. I want the students to be able to answer statistical questions surrounding Mario Kart 8, and use the data gathered from their races to learn statistical concepts.

Mean, median, mode, range, box plots of their data, etc. Perhaps we can answer a question like "are the girls or boys more likely to score higher in a race of Mario Kart 8?" or "what is the average time it takes (insert class here) to complete a race in Mario Kart 8?" There are so many things that can affect the data (items, computers or no computers, stage difficulty), and this serves as a good discussion to have with the kids. What's best is that ALL students can access this because all that's required is for you to play! I have a bit more planning to do to figure out how things will run, but I'm excited and I'm sure they'll be excited too.

No comments:

Post a Comment