Thursday, September 18, 2014

Memoirs of the 7th Graders Pt. 1

I have been extremely busy as of late but I've finally got a chance to post. This week I've had the experience of a few of the 7th graders I had last year come to my room before going to the cafeteria for lunch. It's interesting to hear their new experiences and how things have drastically changed. As a teacher that struggled with management last year, there is a gigantic shift between previous expectations from last year, and their current math teacher's expectations.

Because of those management issues, I didn't think I made much of an impact on those students at all. However, plenty of them wanted to have me back, recalled what it was like to have a teacher that explained the math to them, and even remembered their seat.

L: "Right here Mr. E! This was my seat. Right here!"

A former student has also come into my room for homework help.

S: "You always explained this to us!"

Maybe I wasn't the best teacher. But I was wrong. I provided them with a space to learn math, and served as a person they could go to with any question about math or trouble in school. And they know that they are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment