Sunday, September 7, 2014

Welcome to Unit Rates/Price, Ratios and Proportions

While I haven't gotten into content yet, I've started to work on Unit 1 already and have been thinking about some activities (of course, ones that involve movement), that will likely be the first spotting of the kids on this blog. Going along with my battle (possibly career-long battle) to build student motivation, I decided to use introductory videos that showcase their teachers in the real world, showing the application of the unit/concepts being discussed. I will also create a "Why is Math Important?" video.

Students are familiar with Target even if it's not in their community, and helping their teachers find out which fruit has the cheaper unit price might be plenty interesting and motivating to some of them. There is an element of relevancy, prior knowledge, novelty, and entertainment that comes in making these types of videos. Students in 7th grade that I no longer have are familiar with me, so I'm sure they'll enjoy it. I look terrible!


No comments:

Post a Comment