Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Helping Hand

It seems as though I have a created a classroom culture drastically different from the one present in my room last year. Lesson learned: regardless of whether or not people are directly in your room to observe you, word gets around about what takes place in your classroom. In mine, students are really motivated to work, work together and achieve. I am aware that my instruction and practices have definitely improved from last year.

My co workers from last year have been asking for my opinion and help lately, and it's something that I feel happy about. I looked up to them last year and even now, I still do. They are excellent in their craft and genuinely care about the students. They gave me a lot of advice and help last year, and they were always there to talk to. Really, it makes me so happy that this year that I am able to help them! I feel like the structure that exists in my classroom is really just a combination of some of their teaching traits along with the ones I've developed. Some of their effective teaching traits that I jotted down last year:

- Being very positive
- Being firm
- Being fair
- Holding students accountable

My mentor, the science teacher from last year taught me a lot about making my expectations very clear to students and being quite firm and fair with them. From the ELA teacher, I learned that some classes may require different temperaments. The atmosphere of her class was far different from mine even with the same group of students. I wondered about what I could do to develop this type of atmosphere in every class as well as motivate students. I noticed a system that hold students accountable for exhibiting taught procedures and positive behavior, along with a teacher giving direct positive feedback can really help create this type of atmosphere. Not done with this post! Time to plan..

No comments:

Post a Comment